Defense and security are key priority areas for any country. A country must assure its citizens of national security and be able to address security threats early including terrorism threats. We must also know that security facilitates economic growth, job creation and trade among others. The current government has been keen to acquire and maintain physical state of the art defense and security infrastructure. However, this is not all the country requires to be stable and secure.
My government intends to ensure security of all citizens of Uganda through:
- Streamlining and equipping the security agencies in the country
- Enforcing the use of cyber security to crack down crime and other security threats
- Training security experts particularly in areas of computer security, information security and forensics
- Promoting good neighborliness in the region
- Ensuring a well educated and motivated force to guarantee security within the country, along its boarders and in the region.
In light of the importance of defense and security sectors, my government proposes to allocate at least 5% for defense, 5% for security and presidential affairs and 3.5% for internal affairs and the regional governments.